Sheldon Rampton offers an excellent rundown of recruiters’ use of video games, datamining, and other tactics to get young people into the military services. He includes some notes from a 2004 guidebook for high school recruiters, like
• "Attend athletic events at the HS. Make sure you wear your uniform."
• "Deliver donuts and coffee for the faculty once a month.
• "Coordinate with the homecoming committee to get involved with the parade."
• "Get involved with the local Boy Scouts. … Many scouts are HS students and potential enlistees or student influencers."
• "Offer to be a timekeeper at football games."
• "Contact the HS athletic director and arrange for an exhibition basketball game between the faculty and Army recruiters."
How about a spelling bee?